SKINCARE EDUCATION 101
Skin cancer is the most common of all cancer types. More than 3.5 million cases of non-melanoma skin cancer are diagnosed each year in the United States, and more than 76,000 cases of melanoma (the most serious form of skin cancer) are expected to be diagnosed in 2014. That’s why the American Cancer Society and the National Council on Skin Cancer Prevention have designated the Friday before Memorial Day as Don’t Fry Day –– this year it falls on May 23, 2014.
Although skin cancer risk factors are present every day, the dangers are greater during the long days of summer when you may spend more time in the sun. This infographic focuses on easy-to-follow tips to help you be sun sensible and reduce your risk of skin cancer.
* Please support The American Cancer Society to save lives! To donate directly to them, please click their online donation link and learn more: https://donate.cancer.org/index Thank you for your support. We are together to make the world better! Please click the logo below to go to The American Cancer Society official website to learn more:
Take 10 years off your face today with these easy and effective Oz-approved secrets.
Secret #1: Vitamin C
Vitamin C is critical for your body and plays an important role in maintaining healthy, resilient skin. While young skin is full of vitamin C, aging skin naturally loses this nutrient over time. Other factors like exposure to UV light, pollutants and cigarette smoke compound the decline of vitamin C, contributing to signs of aging. The good news is that you can fight back by replenishing your skin’s vitamin C levels to help to combat and even reverse time’s effect on your face.
One of the most powerful functions of vitamin C is its role in the production of collagen, a protein that gives your skin its elasticity. As you age, collagen breaks down and wrinkles begin to form. Stabilizing your skin’s levels of vitamin C can help to counteract wrinkle formation by increasing collagen production.
When it comes to treating age spots, you don’t need chemical peels and lasers – it turns out that vitamin C can have almost the same results! Age spots are essentially sun damage, and vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant, shown to reduce the number of sunburned cells as well as reverse age-related damage to skin. While it’s not a replacement for sunscreen, vitamin C protects against and may repair UV damage like discoloration and fine lines.
Your Anti-Aging Rx
Taking vitamin C through a supplement or food is beneficial to your health, but to specifically target signs of aging on your face, topical vitamin C is best. In fact, applying vitamin C to the skin can be 20 times more effective than taking it orally. Topical vitamin C is sold in a wide range of products from serum to lotions. Look for products that contain between 3% and 10% of vitamin C and include the active ingredient ascorbic acid or L-ascorbic acid. Pay extra attention to the packaging – all antioxidants, including vitamin C, are vulnerable to deterioration in the presence of air and light. Unless the product is in an airtight and opaque package, don’t buy it!
Apply topical vitamin C once a day, ideally after you’ve exfoliated in the morning to utilize vitamin C’s sun-protecting properties. On rare occasions, topical vitamin C can cause some mild dryness or flaking. Counteract this side effect with a moisturizer. This topical nutrient is safe to combine with all your other skin care products and even works synergistically with other antioxidants. For a super powerful anti-aging punch, combine vitamins C and E together.
The length of time from when you start using vitamin C until you see results varies with each person. While some people see changes as soon as 2-4 weeks, it may take others 6-8 weeks to see a difference. After around 6 months, you’ll reach the maximum benefits.
Secret #2: Phytoceramides
A Natural Facelift
Faking a facelift may be as easy as taking one little pill! Phytoceramides help to reduce fine lines and wrinkles and improve the structural integrity of the skin. Used in Japan for centuries, the FDA has just approved the oral use of this powerful anti-ager.
Phytoceramides are the plant-derived equivalent of ceramides, a lipid that keeps your skin hydrated and plump. You start to lose ceramides as you age, and as a result, your skin beings to appear rough and wrinkled. Taking phytoceramides orally restores the natural outer layer of the skin. These powerful molecules work from the inside out, getting absorbed into the bloodstream and carried to the inner layer of your skin. From there, they seep to the outermost layer where they restore the cracked and damaged barrier, moisturize and fill out wrinkles and sun-damaged areas.
Your Anti-Aging Rx
Phytoceramides are relatively inexpensive; the cost is around $10 for a 30-day supply. Try taking one 350mg capsule daily with food. You should see your skin begin to soften and smooth out in about 4 weeks. They are safe for most people, but those with gluten sensitivity may want to look for an alternative.
Phytoceramides are commonly wheat-based and although most gluten is removed, it still may be problematic.
Amp up the anti-aging benefits by combining phytoceramides with topical vitamin C – you’ll avoid absorption problems of oral vitamin C and it’s a potent anti-aging combination.
Secret #3: Power Facial Cleansers
Top plastic surgeons agree that power cleansers can help you look younger. These devices are like an electric toothbrush for your face. They run on minute-long cycles that take traditional cleansing one step further. The gentle exfoliation removes the top layer of dead skin that makes your face look dull. It also allows anything meant to treat the skin including creams, serums or salicylic acid lotions to soak in more thoroughly.
Your Anti-Aging Rx
Try using a power cleanser 3-4 times per week. Make sure the device is charged and apply light pressure while moving the cleanser in a circular motion on wet skin. Use for 20 seconds on the forehead, nose and chin and for 10 seconds on each cheek. Be careful to avoid over-exfoliating. Limit your use of the electric cleanser to every other day – anything more than that can strip your skin of its natural oils. Be especially mindful of your usage if you have sensitive skin.
Power cleansers are sold in a variety of different brands. Drugstores carry versions that can be less than $20. These models have a pad or bristles that fluctuate anywhere from four to five times a second. More expensive models have bristles that swivel up to 300 times a second and can run up to $200. It may be worth it to spend more money if you have sensitive skin – the more times the brush moves per second, the less abrasive it will be.
1) Joyal Beauty Super Brightening Vitamin C Serum---Contains the most effective stabilized 20% Vitamin C+Vitamin E+HA+much more, The Best natural anti-aging vitamin C face serum
2) Joyal Beauty Ultra Hyaluronic Moisturizing Serum---Contains 5% stabilized Vitamin C+5% botanic Hyaluronic Acid+much more ( If you've never tried Vitamin C skincare products before, start with 5% Vitamin C serum at first, then you may pursue higher percentage Vitamin C serum later. )
* Disclaimer: This Dr.OZ's article above is for education reference only. Our Joyal Beauty natural skincare brand is not related with Dr.OZ. In fact, Dr. OZ has no any authorized products under his name.Dr. Oz does not endorse any brand name or commercial supplier. If you would like to learn more about beauty and health tips, we strongly recommend Dr. OZ's official website: http://www.doctoroz.com
Hyaluronic acid is key for more moisture and less wrinkles.It is a well-known "Key to the fountain of youth".
Touted by experts as one of the best hydrating and wrinkle-plumping ingredients on the market today, hyaluronic acid is getting a lot of attention. You can find it in skin care products and injectable fillers, and although it occurs naturally in your skin, levels of this vital skin component decline with age. Capable of holding up to 1,000 times its own weight in water, supplementing your skin with hyaluronic acid can boost moisture levels and minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.Hyaluronic acid plays a key role in the skin’s extracellular matrix and has been shown to maintain hydration, improve elasticity and protect against free radical damage. In the skin, hyaluronic acid is responsible for capturing water, in turn maintaining the smoothness and plumpness of the skin. When hyaluronic acid is depleted, skin can become dehydrated and lose elasticity, which accentuates lines and furrows.
When you use Joyal Beauty natural skin care products containing hyaluronic acid, it works by absorbing available moisture from the environment and water already present in the skin. Hyaluronic acid helps the skin retain this moisture, and has a temporary plumping effect on fine lines and wrinkles as the molecules swell. But hyaluronic acid is a costly ingredient, which is why it’s important to choose a product with an effective concentration. As a general rule of thumb, the higher up on the ingredient list the hyaluronic acid is, the more potent the product, which means better results for your skin. We recommend external use HA ---Joyal Beauty Ultra Hyaluronic Moisturizing Serum and Joyal Beauty 100% Pure Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Serum.
1. After cleansing the face and applying Joyal Beauty face serums, cup hands around the head, with thumbs resting on the forehead and fingertips at the temples. Smooth out the forehead in strips-starting along the eyebrows, working up toward the hairline.
2. Press between the eyebrows with your thumbs. Repeat, moving up the center of the forehead to the hairline.
3. Massage temples, using circular motion with fingers. Continue circles down along the jawbone to the chin.
4. Using your fingertips, draw a line under the cheekbone and out to the temples. Repeat, taking the line lower down the cheek each time.
5. Use the fingertips to draw a big moustache shape from the upper lip out to the temples, and circle the temples one more time.
6. Press softly around the upper bone of the eye sockets, starting from the bridge of the nose, out to the corner of the eye. Repeat, this time working carefully around the eye socket under the eyes.
7. Gently massage the ears between your thumbs and fingers, starting at the earlobe and moving around and up to the top of the ear.
8. Pull ears very gently, again starting with the lobe and moving gradually to the top of the ear.
9. Cup hands and rest them over the eyes. Breathe in and out deeply several times. Mediate every cell on your face is relaxing and happy. Then release the hands.
You may do those steps every day after cleansing and applying Joyal Beauty natural skincare products. You just need several minutes to do this step but it makes difference. You will see amazing positive results in a short period of time
1. ACNE FIGHTER
This natural astringent can help with acne control by reducing inflammation and decreasing oil. Use serum containing witch hazel should help reduce acne. Some say witch hazel is mild so it might work better for those looking for a gentle astringent. Look for ingredients like salicylic acid for stronger acne fighting properties.It’s effective, yet gentle astringent that reduces inflammation, reduces redness, reduce pore size, and removes excess oil from skin. If you have sensitive skin and ACNE, We highly recommend you use an alcohol free witch hazel! Joyal Beauty serums which are highly concentrated in witch hazel and they are alcohol free, gentle and contains skin nourishing goodies.
2. REDUCE PUFFY EYES
Puffy eyes are a common problem in skin care but if you’ve got some serums containing witch hazel ingredient in your bathroom, you’ve got a quick fix! Soak cotton pads with some witch hazel and apply it over your closed eyes for five minutes. Witch hazel is known to tighten skin which can help de-puff or reduce under eye baggage!
3. TREAT VARICOSE VEINS
One of the top witch hazel benefits has to be that this all-natural astringent can help reduce the appearance of varicose veins! The tannins in witch hazel are known to constrict blood vessels as well as reduce inflammation and swelling. Simply soak a cloth in witch hazel and apply it over the area you want to treat. Repeat this daily as a natural way to minimize the appearance varicose veins!
4. HEAL BRUISES
If you ever find yourself with an unsightly bruise and you want to speed up the healing process, try using witch hazel! Soak a thin cloth in witch hazel and apply it over the bruise several times a day. The tannins in witch hazel can help reduce swelling, constrict blood vessels and heal broken skin so your bruise is long gone!
5. REFRESH SKIN
A simple and easy way to use witch hazel is to use it freshen up your skin! You can use witch hazel anytime your skin feels hot, oily, dirty or you just want that refreshing, clean feeling. Witch hazel also helps tighten pores so you can reduce the size of your pores for a smoother appearance. Dab some serum containing with witch hazel on a cotton ball or pad and get rid of all the impurities on your skin in seconds!
6. LOCK IN MOISTURE
Using witch hazel to lock in the moisture in your skin might sound imperceptive but it really works! Yes, witch hazel does get rid of excess oil but it also helps to eliminate water loss and improves hydration to the outer layer of skin. So, it’s an ideal moisturizer to use right after you get out of the shower to seal in moisture and fight dry skin!
7. TREAT RAZOR BURNS
Both ladies and gents can enjoy the witch hazel benefits by applying it to irritated skin with a cotton pad and moisten the area with razor bumps. Repeat this daily until the razor bumps go away! Joyal Beauty serums are designed for all skin types, for woman and man!
8. TREAT SUNBURN
You can easily treat sunburns by spritzing witch hazel on the affected area or applying a thin cloth soaked in witch hazel to soothe inflamed skin.
9. EASE ECZEMA AND PSORIASIS
One of the little known but effective witch hazel benefits is that it helps ease symptoms of eczema and psoriasis. Witch hazel has anti-inflammatory properties and will help ease the pain, itching, redness and scarring that’s commonly associated with eczema and psoriasis.
As you can see, there are many amazing witch hazel benefits for our skin! The face serums which contain witch hazel and also alcohol-free are:
1) Joyal Beauty Super Brightening Vitamin C Serum, 2) Joyal Beauty Ultimate Brightening Anti-Aging Serum, 3) Joyal Beauty Timeless Skin Renewal Serum, 4) Joyal Beauty Ultra Hyaluronic Moisturizing Serum, If you have sensitive skin or are pregnant or breast feeding, be sure to consult your doctor before using witch hazel. Do you use witch hazel in your skin care routine?
- Unhealthy diet plan
- Extreme cold weather
- Dry furnaces
- Stressful lifestyles
- Exposure to sunrays
These entire factors make the skin extreme dry. Well, the best and only option to deal with such a skin condition is to make efforts to hydrate the skin by applying a good quality serum and moisturizer daily.
There are many benefits of applying both serum and moisturizer, such as:
- It protects the skin from sun damage. Harmful sun rays can damage the skin not only during the summer season but also during the winter season. Before apply moisturizer and sunscreen, apply Joyal Beauty Super Brightening Vitamin C Serum first to provide additional sun ray protection.
- It also stimulates the skin. When you apply Joyal Beauty anti-aging serums, blood circulation gets improved and boosts the collagen levels. With good amount of collagen level, the skin will not have problems like wrinkles, fine lines, and so on.
- It also works as a primer. When serum and moisturizer is used before applying heavy makeup, it helps to enjoy flawless makeup.
- It helps to maintain the elasticity in your skin which is essential to keep your skin free from skin problems such as wrinkles or sagging skin.
- It also ensures that the skin’s blemishes are camouflaged.
- It keeps your skin hydrated, which helps it to function properly.
- It helps skin to repair itself which is essential to enjoy glowing and healthy skin.
- It helps to achieve a younger looking skin.
- It prevents various skin problems and acts as a very effective way of concealing common skin marks.
WHEN TO APPLY SERUM AND MOISTURIZER?
- Serum and Moisturizer help to maintain supple and healthy looking skin but it will happen only when the moisturizer chosen by you is applied routinely. The most important times to use serum and moisturizer are after a bath, shave or exfoliation. During such times the skin is still moist and ready to absorb the serum and moisturizer. Serum should be applied immediately after cleansing, before applying moisturizer. Those having extremely dry skin should apply serum and moisturizer every night before going to bed.
- When applying serum and moisturizer, try to massage the skin area with gentle hands. The act of massaging will stimulate blood circulation and new cell generation and also the moisturizing ingredients present in the moisturizer will be able to penetrate deep inside the skin.
- When applying serum and moisturizer you need to give special attention to the skin on your face, ears, neck and chest. These areas are very sensitive to environmental changes and are the most frequent areas of the body known to develop skin cancer.
As the market is flooded with a wide variety of serums and moisturizers, it may be confusing to choose the right one. When looking for serum and moisturizer, it is essential to buy one that is designed for your skin type. If you have dry skin, then applying a moisturizer designed for oily skin will not benefit you much. Joyal Beauty natural anti-aging serums line is designed for all skin types, including normal, dry,oily,combination and sensitive skin. Experts also recommend choosing a moisturizer that contains plenty of vitamins with an SPF of at least 15 to protect your skin during the day.
To conclude, in order to have healthy skin, you simply cannot ignore the importance of moisturizing your skin daily. This is a tip that you must follow without any fail if you wish to look and feel young for years to come.
- Bathe daily. A daily bath or shower can add much-needed moisture to the skin. To hydrate the skin with a daily bath or shower, follow these guidelines:
- Keep it short. A 5- to 10-minute bath or shower adds moisture. Spend more time in the water and the skin begins to dry.
- Use warm, not hot, water. Hot water removes natural oils from the skin more quickly than warm water. The more natural oils removed, the drier the skin becomes.
- Close the bathroom door. This keeps the much-needed humidity in the room.
- Use a mild cleanser. Deodorant bars, fragrance in soaps, and products containing alcohol strip natural oils from the skin, which dries the skin. Look for a natural, mild, fragrance-free cleanser that moisturizes.
- Gently pat the skin dry. Gently blotting the skin helps retain moisture and is less irritating to dry, sensitive skin.
- Apply serum and moisturizer within 3 minutes of getting out of the bath or shower. Contrary to popular belief, serum and moisturizer does not add moisture to the skin. Moisturizer traps existing water in the skin, preventing the water from evaporating. To trap water from a bath or shower in the skin, serum and moisturizer must be applied within 3 minutes of bathing. Applied regularly, this helps decrease dryness and itching. We recommend paraben-free alcohol-free Joyal Beauty face serums to use within 3 minutes after cleansing.
3. Select serums and moisturizers best suited to relieve dry skin. Ointments and creams tend to be more effective than lotions. Creams and ointments also usually less irritating to dry, sensitive skin. And serum is the most effective intensive treat for your dry skin. Joyal Beauty serums are the best natural organic serums in the market.
Serum and Moisturizer does not need to be expensive to be effective. Remember to look at the ingredients not the price. Many big brands at expensive price actually have many harmful chemicals such as parabens and phthalates. When selecting a serum and moisturizer to soothe dry skin, look for products that contain lactic acid or hyaluronic acid. These help alleviate even severe dryness. Hyaluronic acid, which naturally occurs in the skin and diminishes with age, can help the skin hold water. Glycerin help draw water to the skin and keep it there.
4. Check the ingredients on anti-aging products. Some anti-aging products contain retinoids or an alpha-hydroxy acid, which can irritate dry, itchy skin. Switching to a more natural and healthy moisturizing formula such as Joyal Beauty serums can bring relief.
5. Read the ingredients on other skin care products. Using mild, unscented skin care products can help reduce irritation and make skin feel more comfortable. Deodorant soaps, alcohol-based toners, and products that contain fragrance can irritate dry, sensitive skin. Some people with mature skin find using mild, unscented products year round helps their skin feel better. Fox example, Joyal Beauty anti-aging serums line, a leading organic skincare brand, has no alcohol, no fragrance, no harmful chemicals, thus suitable for all skin types and even the most sensitive skin.
6. Plug in a humidifier and apply Joyal Beauty moisturizing serums containing hyaluronic acid. A humidifier can add much-needed moisture to the air. Turn on the humidifier all night long in your bedroom, apply Joyal Beauty moisturizing serums containing hyaluronic acid.Hyaluronic acid can attract 1000-times of its weight in water, thus you will find out your skin looks glorious when you wake up in the morning!
7. Avoid wearing wool and other rough materials next to the skin. These can irritate dry skin, making the condition worse.
8. Give hands the extra attention they deserve. Hands often show the effects of a dry environment more than any other part of the body. These tips may help hands heal and prevent future problems:
- When outdoors in winter, wear gloves. This helps protect the skin from the cold, dry air, which can zap moisture from the skin.
- Apply hand cream after each hand washing. It is important not to skimp on hand washing, which can remove harmful bacteria and viruses. Applying hand cream after each hand washing helps hands retain much-needed moisture. This is especially important for people who frequently immerse their hands in water throughout the day. If you want more luxury feeling, use Joyal Beauty face serum as hand serum. It sounds too luxury, but if you want gorgeous hands, it is worthful.
- If hands are frequently immersed in water, wearing waterproof gloves can help protect the hands. Again, it is important not to skimp on hand washing.
10. Apply lip balm often. Carrying a tube of lip balm and applying it frequently throughout the day helps heal dry, cracked lips. If lips are extremely dry, dab on petroleum jelly before bed. Continuing to use lip balm once the lips heal can keep lips soft and supple. Dermatologists recommend using a lip balm that has an SPF of at least 30. This can help reduce signs of premature aging and prevent skin cancer on the lips.
When to See a Dermatologist
If these changes do not bring relief, make an appointment to see a dermatologist. Very dry skin may require a prescription ointment or cream. Dry skin also can be a sign of an underlying medical condition such as eczema. A type of eczema called eczema craquelé or asteatotic eczema develops in older adults. A dermatologist can examine the skin and explain what will help alleviate the dryness and irritation.
You've probably already noticed that when you skimp on sleep, it shows on your face. Tired skin sags, bags, and loses its luster.
“Lack of sleep causes blood vessels to dilate, causing the look of dark circles,” says dermatologist Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD, of the University of California, San Francisco. Sleepily rubbing your eyes doesn't help those dark rings.
Not enough sleep can also make you more stressed, and everyone can see that tension. "It makes you look angry, tired, sad, and certainly older," says New York City dermatologist Doris Day, MD.
If you're up late drinking and smoking, that's more bad news for your skin. Alcohol affects sleep quality, leaving bags under your eyes. Smoking leads to premature wrinkles.
That can all start changing the next time you slip between the sheets.Why You Need Your Beauty Sleep? "Your skin, and your whole body, goes into repair mode when you sleep," says Day, who wrote the book Forget the Facelift.
While you sleep, your skin renews itself. New skin cells grow and replace older cells. "It's repairing and restoring and rebalancing," Day says.
It's also a time when all sorts of hormonal and metabolic changes happen in and the body, including your skin. A lack of sleep can disrupt those processes.
Of course, you need good sleep for your whole body, not just your skin. Chronic sleep problems are linked to high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, and depression. That's all the more reason to get your sleep back on track.
Sleep Repair for Tired Skin
"The good thing about the skin is that it recovers quickly," Day says. Get a good night's sleep tonight and tomorrow, everyone will notice. They may even tell you how well-rested you look.
How much sleep do you need? Seven to eight hours of beauty rest nightly should do the trick, our experts say.
You might wonder that if seven to eight hours of sleep is good, are 10 or 11 hours even better? Not so.
"There are studies that show getting too much sleep is as detrimental to your skin as not getting enough," Day says. Oversleeping can actually increase skin cell breakdown.
She suggests taking a nap if you're dragging, but don't sleep in till noon. "You can't bank sleep."
5 Steps to Better Beauty Sleep.
Try these tips for a more beautiful night's rest:
- Start a positive bedtime ritual. "Visualize beautiful, healthy skin as you fall asleep and your body will go in that direction," Day says.
- Get into a sleep habit. Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day. "That rhythm is good for your skin," Day says.
- Become a back sleeper. Stomach sleeping presses your face into the pillow, creating a meshwork of fine lines and creases when you wake up.
- Put a soft cover on your pillow. A pillowcase with a high thread count is kinder to your skin. 100% natural silk pillowcase is even better for your skin.
- Go white for your sheets. Dyes on your sheets and pillowcase can irritate sensitive skin.
Before-Bed Beauty Regimen.
Don't just throw on your pajamas at night and hop into bed. "Everyone should follow a beauty regimen," says Badreshia-Bansal.
Your nighttime skin care routine should look something like this:
- Dry or sensitive skin: Use a mild cleanser.
- Oily skin: Use an exfoliating cleanser.
- Depending on your age and skin, you can apply an over-the-counter serums or prescription retinoid cream to help smooth out uneven skin tone and reduce fine lines while you sleep.
What shade of green are they really?Many claims for natural and organic products are often less than truthful so it really is about becoming educated on ingredients, reading labels and finding brands you can trust. If you are choosing to go organic the first step is to look for a brand using certified organic plant-based ingredients. This ensures that no chemicals have been used in the production of the plant source. Check out the company’s website, are they transparent, do they list what chemicals they don’t use and what ingredients they do use and why? Then check out how they substantiate their claims. Have they tested and validated their formulas?
What you don’t want to see on a label are parabens, propylene or butylene glycols, phthalates, sulfates, PEGs, TEA, DEA, GMO, silicones, artificial dyes and colors and artificial fragrances.
Find out if the packaging itself is from a sustainable source, is it recyclable? And if social responsibility is important to you, then look for brands that give back…not just as a marketing add-on, but as part of the company culture.
What can you expect?It used to be that while the premise of natural, vegan and organic skincare was appealing, the product performance was lacking. Basic cleansing, toning and moisturizing yes, but anti-aging and blemish control not so much. But, the past decade has seen tremendous strides in organic skincare technology and innovation. One brand in the forefront of this is Joyal Beauty. The breakthrough Joyal Beauty’s Anti-Aging Serum Line is formulated with a proprietary blend of plants extract and Vitamin C infused into an organic aloe base. These are all good things that you want to put on your skin. They are healthy food for your skin. Joyal Beauty certainly walks the green walk, with antioxidant-rich and clinically proven natural skincare products that meet the most stringent organic regulations in North America. The brand has solid eco-values that include purchasing locally from west coast certified organic farmers and manufacturing strictly in the U.S.A by FDA-certified lab, with sustainable power, utilizing recycled containers. Joyal Beauty also gives a percentage of profits to carefully chosen charities every year.
That’s a good thing! Enjoy your smooth skin—and start protecting it.
Use sunscreen every day (even in winter). Yes, you’ve heard it before, but it’s that important: UV rays cause aging. They actually make your cells lazy, especially the spots where skin naturally creases. To keep cells strong, slather your skin with a broad-spectrum sunscreen containing at least SPF 15, says NYC dermatologist Francesca Fusco, M.D. If you’re going to be outside all day (hello, Labor Day picnic!), choose SPF 30 or more. Reapply every two hours, and don’t forget the cake rule: Put on sunscreen like you’re spreading icing. Use that much.
Be a label reader. Yes, it does make sense to start using anti-aging products now—you don’t need the serious stuff yet, but a great moisturizer is key, says Dennis Gross, M.D., a dermatologist in NYC. Look for anti-wrinkle creams and lotions that contain: antioxidants, like vitamins C and E, pomegranate, acai, and apple stem cells, which can help protect collagen and elastin; anti-inflammatory agents, like mushroom and aloe; or hyaluronic acid, lipids and amino acids, like peptides and ceramides, to maintain skin’s hydration.
Work out and get more sleep. “Exercise reduces the accumulation of free radicals inside your body, protecting your skin,” Dr. Gross says. And seven to nine hours of quality snooze time promotes collagen production and cell repair. Good night!
Quit smoking. Every time you light up, you’re sucking on a wrinkle stick, Dr. Fusco says. Smoke is loaded with free radicals that damage healthy skin cells, and pursing your lips around a cigarette can create lines.
Avoid crash diets. If you lose weight too fast—generally two pounds per week—you’re probably shedding water, not fat, and that loss tends to first show up in your face. “I’ve seen so many women go nuts over a little tummy bulge, only to end up with sagging faces,” Dr. Fusco says. Instead, whether you’re trying to lose weight or not, stick with a vitamin- and mineral-rich diet made up of lean proteins, whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Also, add foods high in zinc, copper and selenium to your plate—they’re skin-firming minerals, says Paula Simpson, a celebrity nutritionist who’s worked with Drew Barrymore and Sandra Bullock. Great sources: chicken, oysters, walnuts and chickpeas.
2. Next: If You’ve Just Started to See Little Lines and Spots.
Don’t freak: Eye crinkles and freckly spots tend to appear in your late twenties or early thirties—that’s life! These steps can help.
Look for targeted wrinkle fighters. As skin cells get older, they lose their ability to prevent moisture loss, Dr. Gross explains. Lotions and creams are fine—they lock in water and prevent dehydration. But serums pack a bigger anti-aging punch because they have higher concentrations of active ingredients (that’s why they’re pricier). Look for a serum that features antioxidants, like vitamins C and E, acai and green tea, says Dr. Gross, and apply it before your sunscreen. Another powerful name to know: retinoids—one of the few families of ingredients really proven to diminish the appearance of lines. “Retinoids have more than 25 years of hard data proving that they improve collagen and elastin production, reduce wrinkles, shrink pores and minimize brown spots,” Dr. Fusco says. (They’re also prescribed to treat acne, giving women in their teens and twenties an anti-aging head start.) Look for retinol and retinaldehyde in drugstore creams, or ask your doc for retinoic acid.
Wear a big pair of sunglasses. No, not to hide anything: You’re gorgeous! The idea is to protect the thin skin around your eyes, says Dr. Fusco. “Squinting in the sun etches the lines in deeper.” Use an eye cream morning and night, too—or a fragrance-free gel if creams make you puffy.
Fight dryness from the inside out. Don’t rely just on guzzling water. Noshing on juicy fruits and veggies (cucumber and melon are good) gives skin a bigger boost, says Howard Murad, M.D., a Los Angeles dermatologist, in his new book, The Water Secret. They’re packed with nutrients that strengthen cells so your skin is better able to hold on to the water you give it. Omega-3 fatty acids, found in nuts, seeds and fish, help keep skin supple too.
Find stuff that fixes age spots. They’re caused by the sun, so use sunscreen religiously to prevent new ones. To lighten existing spots, try a brightening treatment with vitamin C (Joyal Beauty Super Brightening Vitamin C Serum is the best). Those magical retinoids help here, too, by encouraging skin to turn over faster, revealing fresh cells underneath. To avoid irritation, apply brightening products in the A.M. (before SPF) and retinoid creams at night, Dr. Fusco says. An illuminating foundation is an ally too, says NYC makeup artist Dara Klein: “It can cover any flaw.”
Take deep breaths. Stress is a big ager too. “When you produce more adrenaline and the stress hormone cortisol, your skin’s firmness and elasticity suffer,” Dr. Gross says. “Plus, you tend to frown more, which enhances wrinkles.” To unwind, try yoga, meditation, walking or chatting with a friend (the calm one, not the soap star).
3. If Something’s Flipping You Out Already:
Relax—many skin “flaws” can be fixed, and no, not with surgery. Just keep up your healthy habits—food, exercise, sleep, SPF—and do this stuff, too.
Learn how to fake great skin. Sure, makeup conceals age spots, says Klein, but it can also make wrinkles more prominent if the pigments pool into them. The fix: Use a silicone-based primer first to fill in little lines, and swap powders for more-forgiving cream formulas.
Consider high-tech gadgets. “There’s been a paradigm shift,” Dr. Ostad says. “I have patients asking for laser treatments rather than full-on face-lifts.” The benefits are big: A laser can jump-start collagen and elastin production, firm skin, plump wrinkles, and shrink pores—fixing the things women in their late thirties and forties complain about most. But treatments can cost $1,000 a pop. The budget option: An at-home device that emits red light might get you similar effects. “There is data that shows light therapy promotes collagen regeneration, but I’d like to see more concrete evidence,” Dr. Ostad says.
Stop obsessing. Even Dr. Gross, who regularly uses Botox on his patients, says, “when gorgeous women come in for ‘wrinkles’ I can’t see with a magnifying glass, they don’t get Botox from me. Instead, I offer some life advice: If a virtually invisible flaw upsets you now, no procedure will ever make you happy when the real wrinkles show up.” Our Rx? Perspective and confidence—now, as ever, the best beauty tools around.